Student startup teams from colleges across the country are competing for top honors and bragging rights in Student Startup Madness tournament.
RELEASE Friday, Dec 14, 2012 — Thirty-two startups from 18 colleges and universities across the United States have been selected as semifinalists in this year’s Student Startup Madness competition. The first two rounds of the tournament are held online and culminate with the finals at the South By Southwest (SXSW) Interactive festival in Austin, Texas, in March 2013, when the Entrepreneurial Eight will compete for top honors.
Student Startup Madness (SSM) is a fun and exciting nationwide tournament providing college student startups the opportunity to “live the entrepreneurial dream,” compete against fellow student entrepreneurs, grab the attention of potential investors and leaders in the startup community, and build an elite professional network. At the SSM finals at SXSW, these elite college student startups will pitch their businesses to well-known investors and entrepreneurs who can help them transform their ideas into business success.
The 32 Semi-Finalists
(Click on each name to visit their website)
- Amulet Media Inc.from Michigan State University
- Audiotechafrom Seton Hall University
- Bazaarboyfrom Washington University in St. Louis
- Bocalfrom the University of Virginia
- Buyganticfrom the University of Illinois
- Campus Bubblefrom Emory University
- CareerJumpfrom the University of Virginia
- Class on the Netfrom Michigan State University
- Clay.iofrom The University of Texas at Austin
- cooperat.esfrom Emory University
- crowdrxfrom The University of Texas at Austin
- Cubikalfrom Pacific Union College
- Gamylfrom The University of Texas at Austin
- Health on Time (HOT)from the University of Illinois at Chicago
- Muzekofrom The University of Texas at Austin
- Networkairefrom The University of Texas at Austin
- Orgofrom the University of Rochester
- Parallel Players LLCfrom Cogswell College
- PsyQicfrom Syracuse University
- rapmajors.comfrom Syracuse University
- ReclaimItfrom Michigan State University
- RentLingofrom Stanford University
- Shindigfrom Emory University
- StoryBoardfrom St. Louis University
- TempoRun LLCfrom Michigan State University
- Text Rejectfrom Washington University in St. Louis
- Traveriefrom the University of California at Berkeley
- Treyditfrom Pennsylvania State University
- Tuuheads.comfrom Michigan State University
- UpSmart LLCfrom Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Uvalue Inc.from Syracuse University
- Zeglafrom Texas A&M University
Student Startup Madness is promoted and supported by four anchor universities in four regions across the country: Emory University in the Southeast, Saint Louis University in the Midwest, The University of Texas at Austin in the Southwest, and Syracuse University in the Northeast. Major corporate sponsors for this year’s tournament include: Turner Broadcasting’s Media Camp, Foursquare, and The Newhouse School – with help from other media companies and firms that work with early-stage ventures.
The first round of competition was held online from August until November. Judging took place online via Gust.com, a platform used by angel investors around the world. The 32 semi-finalists now advance to the virtual regional round, primarily based on their home college location, where they will be judged against each other online (see regional bracket below). From each of the four regions, two finalists will emerge to form the “Entrepreneurial Eight” (or “E8?), who will be invited to pitch their businesses at the Student Startup Madness national finals in Austin, Texas, on March 11, 2013.
“Each round of the tournament builds momentum,” says Sean Branagan, creator of the SSM program. “It also draws attention to college campuses as sources for innovation, entrepreneurship and talent. …I love how it showcases university entrepreneurship and encourages college students to start businesses.”
About Student Startup Madness
The Student Startup Madness concept was developed by Sean Branagan, director of the Center for Digital Media Entrepreneurship at the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University, in conjunction with SXSW. Syracuse University is the organizing institution for this year’s national tournament.
Student Startup Madness, along with its sponsors and host universities, believes in American entrepreneurship and on-campus startups-and wants to help young student entrepreneurs succeed and become a part of the SXSW experience.
Student Startup Madness debuted at the 2012 SXSW Interactive with a launch event and kick-off pitchfest, where five student startup teams representing eight colleges and universities pitched their ventures and won prizes. For more on Student Startup Madness, visit the website (https://studentstartupmadness.com), see us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter: @StartupMad.Contact: Sean Branagan
Midwest Northeast Amulet Media Inc. Audiotecha Bazaarboy Health on Time (HOT) Buygantic Orgo Class on the Net PsyQic ReclaimIt rapmajors.com StoryBoard Treydit TempoRun LLC UpSmart LLC Text Reject Uvalue Inc. Southwest Southeast crowdrx Bocal Cubikal Campus Bubble Gamyl CareerJump Networkaire Clay.io Parallel Players LLC cooperat.es RentLingo Muzeko Tuuheads.com Shindig Zegla Traverie